Brochure Type: Asia 2018
Follow in the footsteps of the ancients - up the ornate steps of the Forbidden City and to the ramparts of the Great Wall, snaking its way across the rolling countryside, and through the winding ancient alleys of Beijing's hutongs to learn about Chinese traditions over a home-cooked lunch.
- City Tour of Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai
- See local people practicing T'ai Chi in the morning and the Shanghai Acrobats
- Visit Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven and walk the Sacred Way in Beijing and the Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an, the Jinmao Tower in Shanghai and the Great Wall of China
- 9 buffet breakfasts
- 5 lunches (including Be My Guest)
- 3 dinners
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Porterage and local charges included
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 3/31/2018
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Beijing||Arrive Beijing (4 Nights): Welcome to Beijing. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel and settle in before meeting your Travel Director for a Welcome Reception drink and local appetisers.Welcome Reception|
|Day 2||Beijing||Beijing Sightseeing: Begin your visit to this great capital city by exploring one of the world's largest public areas, Tiananmen Square, home to the National Museum of China, the mausoleum of Mao Zedong and the Great Monument to the People's Heroes. Pass through the south gate to the magnificent Forbidden City, a 180 acre complex of courtyards, palaces, pavilions and gardens. It served as the imperial palace for emperors and their households for more than 500 years and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After lunch continue to another UNESCO Heritage Site - the stunning Temple of Heaven, visited by the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties for annual ceremonies of prayer to heaven. This evening, enjoy a succulent Peking Duck Regional Meal - a must during any visit to Beijing. Buffet Breakfast, Lunch, Regional Meal|
|Day 3||Beijing||Beijing and the Great Wall: Travel outside the city and look down upon the Chinese countryside from your perch on top of the Great Wall, which is actually a collection of fortifications built and rebuilt from the 5th century B.C. to the 16th century, to defend against nomadic invaders like the Mongols. Walk the Sacred Way to the remnants of the Ming Tombs, the once-lavish burial chambers of 13 emperors of the Ming Dynasty. Both places are listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites.Buffet Breakfast, Lunch|
|Day 4||Beijing||Beijing Sightseeing: Spend the morning at leisure, before embarking on a unique tour by rickshaw around the ancient alleyways of the courtyard Hutong residences. Stop at the home of a local family for a delicious Be My Guest lunch of traditional Chinese cuisine followed by a visit to a charming tea house, where a Local Specialist prepares and serves tea, while explaining the historic tea making ritual. This afbeijingternoon indulge in a relaxing foot massage, a Cultural Insight, at the Foot Reflexology Centre. Buffet Breakfast, Be My Guest Dining|
|Day 5||Xi'an||Beijing - Xi'an (2 Nights): This morning fly to the city of Xi'an. Later visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, one of the city's most distinctive and outstanding landmarks and one of the Silk Road UNESCO listed sites.Buffet Breakfast|
Wyndham Grand Xi'an South
|Day 6||Xi'an||Xi'an Sightseeing: During term-time, meet the children and teachers at a local primary school. Perhaps learn a few words of Chinese from the children who in turn will be happy to practice their English. Afterwards, visit the legendary army of Terracotta Warriors and Horses in Emperor Qin Shi Huang's subterranean tomb, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For lunch enjoy a delicious meal of traditional Chinese noodles and later continue with a visit to a Jade factory.Buffet Breakfast, Lunch|
|Day 7||Shanghai||Xi'an - Shanghai (3 Nights): This morning your choice of activities gives you the chance to participate in a T'ai Chi Class, with a skilled Local Specialist, or take a cycle tour around part of the ancient City Wall of Xi'an. Continue on to a local restaurant for a Cultural Insight; watch a demonstration in the art of making dumplings, and afterwards enjoy sampling these for lunch. There are 21 different kinds of dumplings with a variety of fillings and different ways of cooking them. Later, transfer to the airport for your flight to Shanghai. Then, visit the impressive 88 storey Jinmao Tower which at approximately 420 metres high is the eleventh tallest building in Asia and offers great views over the city.Buffet Breakfast, Lunch|
Hyatt on the Bund
|Day 8||Shanghai||Shanghai Sightseeing: With a Local Specialist, take a stroll along Shanghai's famous 'Bund', the city's renowned waterfront, lined with former colonial buildings and modern sky-scrapers. Learn how marshland was turned into one of the most important trading hubs in the modern world. Continue to Old Shanghai, a little known treasure trove of winding streets and vibrant markets. Despite the rapid pace of development in the rest of the city, the established customs and lifestyle of this area have remained relatively unaltered. Enjoy some free time for lunch and shopping in the Old Town before continuing to visit a silk museum, a Cultural Insight. This evening enjoy a performance by the world-renowned Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe.Buffet Breakfast|
|Day 9||Shanghai||Shanghai: Today is yours to explore Shanghai further, do some last minute shopping or take an Optional Experience to Zhujiajiao, an ancient water town founded more than 1,700 years ago. In its heyday, Zhujiajiao was a bustling market town well known throughout the country. Today, old historical buildings such as rice shops, banks, spice stores and even a Qing Dynasty post office can still be found when strolling down the ancient streets and exploring the many bridges that crisscross its canals. In the afternoon enjoy some free time back in Shanghai before joining your travel companions for a Farewell Dinner.Buffet Breakfast, Farewell Dinner|
|Day 10||Depart Shanghai||Depart Shanghai: Transfer to the airport for your onward flight.Buffet Breakfast|
- Special Rate Solo Rooming: The departures of 23 March 2018 and 08 June 2018 include a discount of up to 25% on our standard single supplement.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class