Treasures of Italy (Summer 2018)
Brochure Type: Europe 2018
This escorted journey immerses you in Italy's historic cities, idyllic fishing villages, islands, lakes, and canals, heritage buildings, inspiring art, fabulous food and breathtaking scenery.
Additional Included Highlights
- Rome: Enjoy a private guided tour of St Peter's Basilica. See the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona, the Living Room of Rome.
- Capri: See the whitewashed houses, winding alleyways, small cafes, fashionable boutiques and artisans studios.
- Florence: During a guided exploration, see the bell tower and Gates of Paradise on the baptistery. Witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Verona: See the Roman Arena and Juliet's balcony at the reputed Capulet home.
- Venice: Cruise to St Mark's Square by private launch. See St Mark's Basilica, the bell tower, clock tower, Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs.
- Scenic Drives: Umbria, Tuscany, Italian Lake District
- Vatican City: Venture inside St. Peter's Basilica and see Michelangelo's Pieta, and the splendid dome.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Isle of Capri: Get a flavour of the jet-set lifestyle with two nights on this famous isle. Cruise between the island and mainland by hydrofoil and relax as you are driven in an iconic open-top taxi.
- Isle of Capri: Discover the luxuriant Caesar Augustus Gardens with a Local Expert and admire views of the Faraglioni rocks.
- Isle of Capri: Explore Capri town with your Local Expert and see the whitewashed houses, winding alleyways, small cafes, fashionable boutiques and artisans studios.
- Florence: During your guided walk see the cathedral, bell tower and Gates of Paradise on the baptistery. Visit the political heart of the city, Piazza della Signoria.
- Florence: See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods and witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Cinque Terre: These hidden UNESCO World Heritage protected fishing villages, are ingeniously fashioned into impossibly steep hillsides. Join a Local Expert to travel to them on the 19th century railway line through some of the most dramatic coastal scenery on earth.
- Portofino: Delight in a taste of la dolce vita as you explore this elegant fishing village and cruise to Santa Margherita.
- Verona: During your orientation, walk past the well preserved Roman Arena to Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you will be serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola, past water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces where once the likes of Casanova would have come calling.
- Scenic Drives: Admire the classic Italian countryside views of Umbria, the rolling hills of Tuscany and the beauty of the Italian Lake District.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 9/30/2018
- 12 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Rome||Welcome to the Eternal City of Rome.: Rome is the former religious, political and commercial heart of a vast empire. You will be met on arrival at Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport with transfers departing for your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30. Join your Travel Director at 17:30, before getting to know your fellow travellers over a delicious Welcome Dinner with wine at a local restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Romanico Palace, Rome.
|Day 3||Rome||VIP Vatican and Rome with a Local.: In the morning, you will be joined by a Local Expert who will lead you through the priceless art collection of the Vatican Museums culminating beneath Michelangelo's famous ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. Your VIP visit includes fast-track entry to the museums and a behind-the-scenes look at the Bramante Staircase, a part of the Vatican closed to the general public. More of Michelangelo's genius is on display next door in St. Peter's Basilica. Enjoy some free time, or perhaps join a tour inside the Colosseum? Rome is about art, antiquity, piazzas and pizzazz, and our included walking exploration has it in abundance. Toss a coin into the spectacular Trevi Fountain, see the Pantheon, the best preserved monument from the Roman period, and enjoy free time in Piazza Navona. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Romanico Palace, Rome.
|Day 4||Capri||Ancient Pompeii and the Isle of Capri.: Journey to the ill-fated town of Pompeii, frozen in time when it was engulfed by an eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. Walk with a Local Expert through cobbled streets to learn about Roman life in the first century before enjoying a refreshing lemon granita. Then continue to the Bay of Naples and board your hydrofoil to the Isle of Capri. In brilliant sunshine, enjoy a scenic drive by open-top taxi past orange and lemon groves to your hotel, then appreciate the glorious vistas over the rugged coastline and sparkling sea. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel La Residenza, Capri.
|Day 5||Capri||The Isle of Dreams.: (Relaxed Start) Wake up refreshed on this delightful island. Visit Capri town, with its whitewashed houses, winding alleyways and small cafes. A Local Expert escorts you to the luxuriant Caesar Augustus Gardens for views of the Faraglioni rocks. The afternoon is yours to devote to Capri's fashionable boutiques, craft shops and artisans studios. Alternatively, perhaps join an Optional Excursion to the Almalfi Coast and Positano? A boat delivers you to mainland Italy where you are driven along the coastline with its clear blue waters, to reach the artist's paradise of Positano, clinging to the cliff face. After time to explore, you are then returned to the Isle of Capri by another boat transfer. As the glow of twilight descends and the day-trippers have returned to their mainland hotels, the island is yours to saunter along scenic paths, gather with the locals in the piazzetta or relax with a glass of wine at an al-fresco restaurant. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel La Residenza, Capri.
|Day 6||Florence||The Autostrada del Sole to Florence.: Descend to the port by open-top taxi and take the hydrofoil across the Bay to Naples. Follow the Autostrada del Sole, or Motorway of the Sun, north passing Rome and continuing through the Province of Umbria. Journey through idyllic Tuscan landscapes to Florence, centre of art and culture, and the heart of the Italian Renaissance. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Londra, Florence.
|Day 7||Florence||Florence, Birthplace of the Renaissance.: Begin the morning by joining a Local Expert for a walk through Florence's historic centre. Visit the Accademia Gallery, full of priceless art treasures, to see Michelangelo's masterpiece statue, David. See the multi-coloured marble cathedral, Giotto's bell tower and the baptistery, adorned by Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise. Visit the Piazza della Signoria - an open-air museum and still the political heart of Florence. Stroll on to Piazza Santa Croce famous for its basilica and the quality of its luxury goods. The joys of Florence are varied so the afternoon will be free for your own personal exploration. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Londra, Florence.
|Day 8||Santa Margherita||The Cinque Terre and Portofino to Santa Margherita.: The famous Italian Riviera and the Cinque Terre are a highlight of your journey as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Italy's most beautiful landscapes. With a Local Expert, appreciate the views as you approach one of the picturesque fishing villages by boat. Spend some time exploring the old medieval quarter or the popular sandy beach before continuing along to the elegant seaside village of Portofino, epitome of la dolce vita. Admire the colourful houses, browse the boutiques or stay a while in the cafe bars on the piazzetta, watching the yachts moored in the harbour. Should weather permit, return along the rugged Ligurian coast by boat to the resort of Santa Margherita. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Best Western Regina Elena, Santa Margherita.
|Day 9||Lake Maggiore||Lake Maggiore.: In the morning, journey north to the beautiful Italian Lake District, a favourite retreat of the rich and famous where alpine scenery combines with lush subtropical vegetation. Relax and enjoy an afternoon at leisure at this popular resort and beautiful lake or perhaps take a cruise out to the lovely Borromean Islands? For your dining pleasure, you are invited to choose from a hand-picked selection of local restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Simplon, Baveno, Lake Maggiore.
|Day 10||Venice||To Venice with Wine and Verona along the way.: Follow the southern fringes of the European Alps to the vineyards, close to the shores of Lake Iseo. Winemaking traditions run deep here and you will get to taste the delicious vintages produced with a master vintner at a family-owned estate. Continue to Verona, the setting for one of history's most romantic love stories. Walk with your Travel Director to Juliet's balcony in the inner courtyard of the reputed Capulet home and see the well-preserved Roman Arena, still used for open-air opera performances. Continue to the unique city of Venice - a complete step back in time to the 16th century. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice Hotel.
|Day 11||Venice||Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima.: (Relaxed Start) Cruise to a traditional arts centre on Giudecca Island to admire the skillful art of glassblowing. Visit St. Mark's Square where the city's former wealth and power is evidenced by the riches of St. Mark's Basilica and admire the Doge's Palace with its adjoining Bridge of Sighs. The waterways of Venice are renowned for gondolas that drift by. Take your seat on a gondola and be serenaded through the myriad of beautiful canals, passing water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces. In the evening, cruise the islands of the Venetian lagoon to arrive at Burano, famous for its candy coloured houses. Sit down to a sumptuous Celebration Dinner with wine, sampling the local specialities. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice Hotel.
|Day 12||Venice||Arrivederci Venice.: Alas, you must bid farewell to this enchanting city. Your departure transfer arrives at Venice Marco Polo Airport at 08:00 and 09:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Isle of Capri: Open-top taxis are dependent on favourable weather conditions.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class